Sunday, April 6, 2014

What Has Transpired Since My Mission Trip to Russia Two Years Ago... Bunches

It’s been awhile since I’ve written on my blog.  Actually, that’s an understatement since it’s been almost two years since my last blog post…

Well, I didn’t become a missionary overseas as I hoped and almost expected I would.  Instead, I’ve realized that I am and have been a missionary wherever I go irrespective of the boundaries that define a given country, state, county or municipality.

Because of that epiphany, my faith has grown exponentially since my last blog post.  This growth has not occurred because of my mission trip to Russia; my faith has multiplied because of Christ and how He nurture’s a person’s faith, if the individual asks.  I know it may seem almost unbelievable that it works that way, but I can attest to the fact that it does.

I’ve been thinking a lot about the historical aspect of Jesus.  More specifically, I’ve been wondering about how so many people can believe historical texts written before the birth of Jesus, but not those of the bible.  This is particularly perplexing to me even in the context of the bible itself.  The Old Testament was written before the birth of Jesus, parts of it more than 500, 700 or even 1,000 years earlier, and yet people seem more apt to accept the Old Testament’s contents more readily than the New Testament’s even though Jesus fulfilled the former text’s prophecies.

Did you know that over 500 people saw Jesus after He rose from the grave?  When He appeared to those individuals after his resurrection, He didn’t reveal himself as a ghost or vision, but as a person.  Thomas, one of Jesus’ disciples, even placed his hand into the wounds of our Savior.  Jesus asked him to so because Thomas was a skeptic.

Did you know that there are over 5,500 original Greek manuscripts of the New Testament, 10,000 in Latin and 3,600 quotations of the bible?  Well, each one by itself can reconstruct the New Testament in its entirety.

I’ve been watching people in my life change right before my very eyes.  The year I went to Russia is the same one in which my son-in-law came to believe in Christ and his overall transformation has been miraculous to witness.  It’s just so encouraging to see someone’s life transform before your very eyes and seeing it encourages your own faith.

I’ve watched my daughter’s faith grow also.  As a parent, is comforting to know that one day I’ll see my family when I pass from this life into the eternal one.  It’s comforting to find security in the next everlasting life to come.  To know where you will be after you die is peace defined.  By comparison, to not know is unsettling.  I know because I was once doubtful of where I’d be after I passed.  During that time period, no discussions about death were held within earshot of me because I was just too fearful.  I mean, fear of the unknown can be pretty scary, right?

Fortunately, I found Christ…rather, He found me…and I am no longer afraid of death or not reuniting with my family in Heaven.  While I don’t look forward to my own demise, I am not afraid of my inevitable end and never will be.

With all of my heart and faith, I hope you develop the peace that I have…the peace that only Christ can grant you through your faith in Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment